About this course
Rainforest Coding: Designed to make Scratch Coding easier to understand and great fun to learn.
What is Scratch Coding?
Scratch is a project of the Lifelong Kindergarten Group at the MIT Media Lab. With Scratch, you can program your own interactive stories, games, and animations — and share your creations with others in the online community. Scratch is designed especially for ages 8 to 16, but is used by people of all ages. Millions of people around the globe are creating Scratch projects in a wide variety of settings, including homes, schools, museums, libraries, and community centers. Scratch helps young people learn to think creatively, reason systematically, and work collaboratively — essential skills for life in the 21st century.
The ability to code computer programs is an important part of literacy in today’s society. When people learn to code in Scratch, they learn important strategies for solving problems, designing projects, and communicating ideas.
- Rainforest Coding makes learning Scratch fun and easy.
- Rainforest Coding introduces Scratch from the very beginning and progresses in a logical, easy-to-follow manner with animated and interactive tutorials and instructions.
- Two exciting adventures, comprising 32 interactive puzzles and games
- includes advanced Scratch coding techniques such as define blocks, conditional statements, cloning and variables as well as new debugging challenges to reinforce students’ understanding of Scratch coding.
- Animated and interactive tutorials and instructions enable ALL students to understand Scratch coding techniques
- NEW Super Rescue Team – Animated and interactive activities to introduce Scratch Junior coding to ages 3-5, and those with more profound special educational needs. Scratch Junior develops basic skills in logic and problem solving, whilst following a fun adventure under the sea and in space.
Rainforest Coding in the Classroom
Rainforest Coding makes teaching Scratch easier to introduce in the classroom.
- Very simple to set up
- NEW Teacher View – A synchronised and easy-to-use teacher view, allowing you to track the progress of entire classes and individual students. Student progress reports can be downloaded and printed, showing the specific skills achieved during each activity.
"We make it fun and easy for children to code. Rainforest coding offers a selfpaced online learning environment for children to learn coding as part of the curriculum and also at home. "